Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Time to earth up



I was given a book called 'growing under plastic' some years ago but never really read it properly - those of you that know me well with find this unsurprising. This year I have felt a real desire to get the most out of the earth which we have been given stewardship over and that starts with the garden. The book tells me that I can expect a crop of potatoes from the greenhouse in late April if I get them in early enough so I planted some early's in the polytunnel and waited - and waited - and waited. A couple of weeks ago they started to sprout through and I began the process of earthing up to protect the tender shoots from the odd patch or frost and hail we've had as well as providing somewhere for the potatoes to form for an easy harvest. Today I repeated the process.

I thought the black and white diagram I found resembled a cross section through a breast so I've also found a picture of a breast to compare it with. I had to rotate the image of course!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home