Sunday, April 06, 2008

whistling down the line


I have been wanting a low whistle for some years now having bought my sister in law one for her 40th and being amazed by its flute-like qualities. A number of renowned fiddle players also play the low whistle so I thought - lets give it a go. After doing a lot of research it turns out the best low whistles are made by Bernard Overton and Colin Goldie and are both called Overton whistles. Colin lives in Germany and I was strongly pointed in his direction. I ordered my whistle nearly two months ago and had to wait whilst poor Cloin went through one bout of flu after another before he had completed the next batch of low D whistles. Yesterday I spent a pleasant 30 minutes chatting to Colin on the phone ( all the way from Germany!) as he played different instruments down the phone for me to listen to - well they all sounded the same to me down a crackly phone line!! This is very much a long-term project and I ended up trusting his judgement over a suitable instrument. I then had a four hour wrangle with Paypal trying to sort out renumeration.

It should arrive sometime next week.

1 Comments:

At 2:30 PM , Blogger stevie.g said...

looking foward to havibg a go - will I be allowed?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home