Monday, March 24, 2008

Barn Owl


We watched a fabulous barn owl quartering fields adjacent to the cycle path yesterday afternoon. Despite the regular snow and hail showers the owl seemed content to enjoy what little sunshine was around in the pursuit of small mammals. Talking of small mammals I set a humane mouse trap in the polytunnel to catch the little buggers which are eating their way through the chicken's corn. I crept down the garden just after dark and heard a rustling in the corn sack. The sack has two layers and I saw a little tail sneek through a hole between the innner and outer layers of the sack. On opening up the middle section there were 5 sets of small beady house mouse eyes staring up at me. I didn't have the heart to bother them and left them to nibble to away in the freezing conditions. I've removed the trap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home