Tuesday, January 16, 2007

What's the story



I almost gave up trying to make a blog entry this evening as google have made it so complicated with different log in screen and user names. I need it nice and simple.

I found this dead mouse lying in the middle of the path in Waterloo Park this morning. Not very exciting you might think - but I wondered how did it get there, what had happened to it? Had it just come to the end of its alotted heartbeats....

Check out this quote

"The heart of a 1-ounce mouse beats roughly 600 times per minute. The mouse lives an average of three years. An elephant's heart beats just 30 times per minute, but a 5-ton elephant will likely live 60 years or more.

In both cases, if the animals' pulse rate is scaled inversely as the quarter-power of the animal's mass, this notable fact is produced: The total number of heartbeats in a mouse's and an elephant's average life span will be roughly the same, about 946 million times. Used this way, the quarter-power law can be used to estimate life span."

So what have you done with your heartbeats so far and how many more have you got to go?

What's more pressing - if I continue to cycle to work will it limit my expected lifespan significantly??

4 Comments:

At 2:37 PM , Blogger joolians said...

does that mean I will live till I'm 21?

 
At 2:37 PM , Blogger joolians said...

if my heart beats at 85 bpm?

 
At 3:14 PM , Blogger Sweet Pete said...

I think this an average figure but is probably means you are already dead!

I still think we should wheel you out on Sundays to lead worship though

 
At 11:49 PM , Blogger Helsalata said...

I think that Joolian gets all the heartbeats of the beasts that get killed by our cats. So a nest of baby mice delivers something in the region of 900 per mouse (you can do the maths!) There are also various birds, voles, rats and other living creatures that kark it prematurely so as long as they're killing, Joolian keeps living.

Either that or it's different for humans otherwise marathon runners would struggle...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home