Sunday, September 16, 2007

Handicaps



Today I was on duty at Rollesby Broad. This happens once a year when all members have to be OOD - Officer On Duty.

It can be a bit of a chore but today was quite exciting as it was very windy and a number of boats were blown over and needed rescuing in the motor boat. Another role of the OOD is to record the times for each boat in the race and apply the appropriate handicap. This meant that even the smallest boat with the tiniest sail has a chance of winning. This boat is an Enterprise which is the same class as my boat. I brought the boat home today as it is wooden and needs some repair work to get it ready for next year. In a funny way I'm actually looking forward to spending some time working on it. I haven't used it a lot this year and I think the commitment I will have to make repairing it this Winter will make it more likely I will sail next year. I often think we take too much for granted and the things we have to work at are usually more important to us in the long run.

2 Comments:

At 2:11 PM , Blogger stevie.g said...

I wondered where you were
I thought OOD was object oriented design, something IT geeks drool over. I prefer the officer TLA.

 
At 10:20 AM , Blogger Sweet Pete said...

okay so what's a TLA?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home